treasurewars.net Loading...
Join our offical discord server! Loading...

A talk about DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scutch

Hello!

I would like to talk about an issue which I have seen arise on the server ofver the last few months. When I started playing on Treasure Wars 1 years ago, it was very uncommon for people to even claim that they had been under attack from any form of DOS attack. However in the last few months many people have stared to claim and submitted ban reports for people who have allegedly sent them some type of DOS attack. Some of these are unfortunately accepted and Treasure Wars is right to ban these people.

But the point to this post is to try to inform people about DOS attacks as it seems from the chat that people are claiming that they have been D-DOS'ed or DOS, which, for the most part, I find very unlikely.

For another player to send you a D-DOS of Distributed-Denial Of Service attack would be quite impressive. As I am sure a few of you will know the concept behind a DOS attack but for those who don't, it basically involves sending large packets of data to a server or a specific web address until it effectively crashes under the load making it unreachable. The difference between a D-DOS and a DOS attack is where this data comes from, in a D-DOS attack the IP's will be "distributed" making it hard to find the real culprit. A DOS attack is carried out from 1 IP (however can be more than 1 attack.)

As I said before "For another player to send you a D-DOS of Distributed-Denial Of Service attack would be quite impressive." I say this because the 2 main and most effective ways to launch a Distributed-Denial Of Service attack both have quite strict criteria.

The most effective way to launch a D-DOS attack and the way crackers (not hackers, hackers are the good guys and the media got it wrong :mad:) and so called hacktivist groups like Anonymous bring down bank severs is by using whats called a bot net. A bot net works by infecting hundred's of people computers with malware and/or RAT's (Remote Administration Tools). This malware then works in the background and installs the software needed to launch the D-DOS attack from the innocent persons computer. Then when the cracker is ready, he has full remote control over his bot net which sends the data to the targeted web address. This form of attack makes it hard to find the real culprit as there are so many IP's sending this traffic. The other way involves having a high end server grade PC, godly upload speed, and a ton of VPN's on disposal (if you don't wish to be caught). I won't go into detail but your basically create hundreds of Virtual Machines and launch the attack that way.

I hope from reading the paragraph above you see why I find it unlikely that anyone on Treasure Wars has received a D-DOS attack.
So what about a DOS attack?

Well, as evident from the forums some people have received such attacks, I still find it unlikely that most people who claim to have received a DOS attack actually have. This is because although you could send a DOS very easily (all the tools you would need are on google), most ISP's provide protection against these attacks as they are easy to so spot because all the data comes from one IP.

I am not saying anyone on this server has ever received a Denial Of Service attack, I hope reading this has informed you about DOS attacks and so please think about what you write in chat unless you have sufficient proof.

Sorry this was so long, but I though it was important.

<3

Scutch

P.S. I still agree that threatening is a ban-able offence even though it is hard to perform.

P.P.S. My source for this info is 2 and a bit years studying ethical hacking at college.

Last edited:

JayJayChang

Hello!

I would like to talk about an issue which I have seen arise on the server ofver the last few months. When I started playing on Treasure Wars 2 years ago, it was very uncommon for people to even claim that they had been under attack from any form of DOS attack. However in the last few months many people have stared to claim and submitted ban reports for people who have allegedly sent them some type of DOS attack. Some of these are unfortunately accepted and Treasure Wars is right to ban these people.

But the point to this post is to try to inform people about DOS attacks as it seems from the chat that people are claiming that they have been D-DOS'ed or DOS, which, for the most part, I find very unlikely.

For another player to send you a D-DOS of Distributed-Denial Of Service attack would be quite impressive. As I am sure a few of you will know the concept behind a DOS attack but for those who don't, it basically involves sending large packets of data to a server or a specific web address until it effectively crashes under the load making it unreachable. The difference between a D-DOS and a DOS attack is where this data comes from, in a D-DOS attack the IP's will be "distributed" making it hard to find the real culprit. A DOS attack is carried out from 1 IP (however can be more than 1 attack.)

As I said before "For another player to send you a D-DOS of Distributed-Denial Of Service attack would be quite impressive." I say this because the 2 main and most effective ways to launch a Distributed-Denial Of Service attack both have quite strict criteria.

The most effective way to launch a D-DOS attack and the way crackers (not hackers, hackers are the good guys and the media got it wrong :mad:) and so called hacktivist groups like Anonymous bring down bank severs is by using whats called a bot net. A bot net works by infecting hundred's of people computers with malware and/or RAT's (Remote Administration Tools). This malware then works in the back ground and installs the software needed to launch the D-DOS attack on the innocent persons computer. Then when the cracker is ready, the has full remote control over his bot net which sends the data to the targeted web address. This form of attack makes it hard to find the real culprit as there are so many IP's sending this traffic. The other way involves having a high end server grade PC, godly upload speed, and a ton of VPN's on disposal (if you don't wish to be caught). I won't go into detail but your basically create hundreds of Virtual Machines and launch the attack that way.

I hope from reading the paragraph above you see why I find it unlikely that anyone on Treasure Wars has received a D-DOS attack.

Well, as evident from the forums some people have received such attacks, I still find it unlikely that most people who claim to have received a DOS attack actually have. This is because although you could send a DOS very easily (all the tools you would need are on google), most ISP's provide protection against these attacks as they are easy to so spot because all the data comes from one IP.

I am not saying anyone on this server has ever received a Denial Of Service attack, I hope reading this has informed you about DOS attacks and so please think about what you write in chat unless you have sufficient proof.

<3

Scutch

P.S. I still agree that threatening is a ban-able offence even though it is hard to perform.

P.P.S. My source for this info is 2 and a bit years studying ethical hacking at college.
I know how to preform a Ddos attack but I've never done one before teach me how to hack senapi xD

JayJayChang

Hello!

I would like to talk about an issue which I have seen arise on the server ofver the last few months. When I started playing on Treasure Wars 2 years ago, it was very uncommon for people to even claim that they had been under attack from any form of DOS attack. However in the last few months many people have stared to claim and submitted ban reports for people who have allegedly sent them some type of DOS attack. Some of these are unfortunately accepted and Treasure Wars is right to ban these people.

The most effective way to launch a D-DOS attack and the way crackers (not hackers, hackers are the good guys and the media got it wrong :mad:) and so called hacktivist groups like Anonymous bring down bank severs is by using whats called a bot net. A bot net works by infecting hundred's of people computers with malware and/or RAT's (Remote Administration Tools). This malware then works in the back ground and installs the software needed to launch the D-DOS attack on the innocent persons computer. Then when the cracker is ready, the has full remote control over his bot net which sends the data to the targeted web address. This form of attack makes it hard to find the real culprit as there are so many IP's sending this traffic. The other way involves having a high end server grade PC, godly upload speed, and a ton of VPN's on disposal (if you don't wish to be caught). I won't go into detail but your basically create hundreds of Virtual Machines and launch the attack that way.

<3

Scutch

I pretty good at computers tho

Scutch

Or don't be dumb and don't click on random links, give out ur skype, and don't join random teamspeak servers, then you don't have to worry about this :D
This was more targeted at the people who spam in chat that they have received a DOS attack but never doing any of the above will help

Yagot

Or don't be dumb and don't click on random links, give out ur skype, and don't join random teamspeak servers, then you don't have to worry about this :D
lol Took me one screw up to realize "printscr" is different from "prntscr" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.